As part of our breastfeeding services we offer thorough personal lactation consultant visits that can take place in the home, office, through our HIPPA compliant virtual platform, and by phone. Because we personally take a full history, the first lactation visit can lasts up to two hours.
Find out more about the benefits breastfeeding can have for you and your baby!
What to expect at your visit:
- Your consultant will take a complete health, prenatal, birth and feeding history.
- An Assessment of the breast that includes milk expression, appearance of the mother and her breast before and after feeding, and any other pertinent issues.
- Observation of the feeding in which the consultant watches the baby for pre-feeding behaviors, response to the feeding, assessment of the latch, and ability to transfer milk.
- A pre- and post-feeding weight will be taken to measure the volume of the intake at the breast. (Home or Office only)
- Help with positioning.
- An oral assessment of baby’s mouth to check for any pertinent issues. (Home or office only)
- If you are pumping, we will help with pumping techniques, pumping schedules, and checking that flanges are the correct fit and your pump is in good working order.
- Answer any questions that the breastfeeding family may have.
- A written care plan will be developed by the consultant with the breastfeeding families’ input to help reach breastfeeding goals and resolve any issues.
- Documentation of the visit including a summary of the care plan will be provided to the family and shared with the families’ other health-care providers.
What to expect at a prenatal Consult:
Our prenatal visits can be done at your home, in our office or through our HIPPA compliant virtual platform.
- A complete health history of the mother.
- An assessment of the breast. (Home or Office only
- The golden hour and getting the best start to breastfeeding.
- What to expect the early days home with a baby.
- Knowing baby is getting enough milk.
- Getting the best latch and practice positioning with both mother and baby comfortable.
- Hand expression.
Benefits of a home lactation consultant visit:
There are many added benefits to a having a lactation consultant visit in your home. You are not required to leave your house with a new baby, and we bring everything to you. We can also work with you in your preferred nursing nook teaching you how to get the best experience in your personal space. Rest assured our office is your “home away from home” and we will do our best to make you comfortable. We have a reclining chair and even a futon to help parents achieve their best breastfeeding position.
The Cost of your lactation consult:
In Network: Aetna, Humana, and Tricare Humana
We are in network with Aetna, Humana, and Humana Tricare and you will have little to no out-of-pocket cost for our services. It is your responsibility to check with your insurance company to ensure that you are covered for lactation services. Even though your insurance company may tell you that you are covered at 100 percent, it is possible that some plans may assign you a co-insurance or co-pay fee. There may be additional fees for travel or afterhours visits that will not be covered by insurance.
Tricare Humana patients will be covered for in office services only. When booking please make sure to choose the Tricare-Humana (office only) option.
Out of Network:
If you have other insurance coverage, we recommend calling your insurance company and asking for a GAP exception. Under the affordable health care act, lactation is a covered service. (Read more here)
How to apply for a GAP exception from your insurance provider, read more here.
Cost of services with our prompt pay discount:
- Office Consult: $125
- Follow-up Office: $95
- Home Consult: $225 – cost includes travel up to a 20 mile radius, there will be additional fees for extended travel.
- Extended Travel (21-40 miles) – Additional $25
- Extended Travel (41-60 miles) – Additional $50
- Follow-up Home: $195 (travel fees are the same)
- Video 1 Hour: $105
- Video 2 Hours: $125
- Phone 1 Hour: $60
- Follow-up Phone: $45
- Additional fee for afterhours visits (6 PM and beyond)/weekends/holidays: $25
- Additional fee for twins or multiples: $25
- Insurance Travel fee for initial visit: $51.98
- Insurance Travel fee for follow-up visit: $31.98
Please call if you don’t find an appointment time that works for you, in some cases we offer same day appointments for our breastfeeding services.